Switch to an accessible version of this website which is easier to read. (requires cookies)

Wales misses out on 2014 Tour de France bid

December 17, 2012 12:58 PM

The decision to award the opening stage of the Tour de France to Yorkshire in 2014 means that Wales will miss out this time, the Welsh Liberal Democrats Heritage Spokesperson, Peter Black has said.

Wales had been part of a rival bid alongside Sports England and Sports Scotland for a three part stage of the Tour to include all three countries, however they lost out to Leeds in the bidding process. Wales may now have to wait until 2017 to host a stage of the Tour de France.

"Although I am pleased for Yorkshire, it is disappointing that Wales has not been successful this time," said Mr. Black. "A stage starting in Newtown, through the Brecon beacons and ending up in Cardiff would have been quite spectacular and could have built on our growing reputation for hosting major events.

"I hope that Sports Wales and the Welsh Government do not give up on this bid and that they pursue the option of having the Tour here in 2017, when it next looks outside French borders."